As of December 31, 2006, every person arriving from the United States is required to show proof of citizenship with a valid United States Passport. If you don't already have a passport, you will need to get one.  For More Information:  How to Get a United States Passport.  You can get a passport in less than 24 hours if necessary.  If you have a current passport, it must be valid for at least six more months after your vacation ends, or you may not be allowed entry.  No visa is required for stays of up to 90 days. If you will need to stay longer, then you'll need a visa - Click Here for Visas.

You will also be required by the Mexican Government to fill out a tourist card and a customs card, both of which will be supplied to you on your flight by the flight attendants.  The tourist card allows you to stay in Mexico for 180 days. 


Canadian citizens do not need a visa to travel to Mexico, but they do require a "multiple migratory form" (issued to tourists, transmigrants, visitors, business-people, and advisors), known as a tourist card. This may be obtained at any Mexican Consulate, during direct flights to Mexico, or at the Mexican port of entry by presenting any of the following as proof of citizenship:

Valid passport (the Canadian Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade highly recommends that Canadians travel with a passport),


Proof of citizenship and photo ID.
Proof of citizenship includes original birth certificate, citizenship card (naturalization certificate) or a notarized affidavit of citizenship (a statement under oath before a notary public, commissioner of oaths or lawyer identifying oneself with another document, stating date and place of birth, and reason for not having an updated passport or original birth certificate).

Acceptable photo ID includes driver's license or health card with photo.

People born in Quebec must present a birth certificate issued after January 1, 1994, by Le Directeur de l'etat civil in the Province of Quebec. Please note that according to a provincial measure announced on October 24, 2001, baptismal and birth certificates issued by Quebec religious, municipal or judicial authorities prior to 1994, are not considered proof of citizenship.


British tourists visiting Mexico need a passport valid for at least 6 months from the intended date of entry and should obtain a tourist card (known as the "FMT") available from Mexican Consulates, Mexican international airports and border crossing points and most airlines serving Mexico.

Certain adventure or eco-tourism activities (eg caving, potholing, entomology) may require visas especially if they involve any scientific or technological research. Be aware that the Mexican authorities may define scientific or technological research activities far more broadly than other countries. If in any doubt, you should check carefully with the Mexican Embassy (contact details below) in the UK well in advance of your visit and request written confirmation if necessary.

Military personnel or civilians with military connections, whatever the purpose of their trip should record this in writing with the Mexican authorities when requesting visa advice.

Use the navigation bar at left to browse our massive selection of other Cancun Tours & Excursions.

Cancun Discounts

Can't Find What
You're Looking For?

Search Our Site!